Thread: PX10 find!
View Single Post
Old 05-11-18, 09:07 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,534 Times in 1,407 Posts
PX10 find!

I need another project like I need a hole in the head, but I had heard so many great things about the PX10 that when this 'old Peugeot' popped up on C/L (literally, first time I looked for bikes in probably a week and the ad was about 3-4 hrs old), I had to call.

Took a couple of days to make the connection, but the seller was very cool and the deal was struck today. $70.

I brought it home, threw some air in the tires (they held!), and adjusted the seat. Completely not my frame size (I'm about 5' 11"), but I got on it, rode it around, and it actually felt really good! I'm going to give it a shot! She's been battered and bruised, left alone in a corner and neglected for a long time. Right now I'm trying to take inventory of parts and damage, finding out what is original or non original to the bike and how to proceed with the damage I'm finding. Someone put a kickstand on her and really wrenched it down, and there are a few nicks and dings near the BB. I'm going to try to gently fix the damage. More on that later. I have a few questions -

Do these look like the original wheels? They are high flange, and the rims are steel. They are heavy!

Brakes look like replacements, and the crank arms don't match (one is 'Stronglight', the other is 'Peugeot'). What about handlebars? Shifters? Just about everything is marked 'Simplex'.

Has the typical cracked Simplex FD. Not sure about the rear. I've got a nice set of Suntour Cyclone IIs that I will be throwing on that will be a HUGE improvement.

Not sure yet what I am going to do with it! For sure an complete teardown and rebuild. I'd like to repair the damage from the kickstand. Do I keep it original? Tastefully upgraded? Newer wheelset? Larger rear hub spacing / cold setting frame? Let me hear your thoughts!

This thing is ready for a 2018 clunker challenge.