View Single Post
Old 05-17-18, 07:51 AM
paulb_in_bkln

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1972 Raleigh Sports Step Thru, 1963 Rudge Sports, 2007 Dahon MuP8, Dahon Speed, Public Mixte 8-speed IGH, mid-70s Peugeot Mixte AW conversion, Riv Platypus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Well, I can tell you that my experience with the Raysport Light Roadster build has been positive in all respects. Lightness is an attribute that really shines on long road rides, for obvious reasons. The tighter handling and ease of climbing make up for the slight loss of stability. Having said that, however, I don't think I'll be getting rid of my DL1 any time soon. On some days I just feel like sitting up straight and rolling down the road with dignity. It's almost like a one man parade; and I usually feel underdressed. Where does one get a tophat these days, anyway?

Speaking of which, there was an impeccable later model DL1 on this ride. Here's a shot of it at ye olde stone wall in Old Frontenac:

While we are on the subject of that iconic wall, here are a few more English classics lounging against the rocks:

I really like the looks of this old Hercules.

Here's a closeup of his "kit". As the day warmed up, the tweed came off, and where else can you stow it on a bicycle?

A nice his-n-hers pair of Raleighs. The lavender scarf is a nice touch...

Another "kit shot", this one on an old Phillips.

On Sunday afternoon, I rode with a couple from Iowa; Rick and Lisa Paulos. They were pedaling their Jack Taylor tandem at a respectable pace, and we settled into a mile-eating rhythm that took us on a couple of off-highway excursions. This dirt road was a welcome break from the mad traffic on Highway 61.

Here they are on another backroad, paralleling `61.

I'm getting near the end of my "roll of film", as it were. I'll go through them one more time tonight to see if I've left anything good out. For now, I'll leave you with this:

Man, what a fine day out. So many new bikes look freakish to me. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But a ride composed of bikes made the traditional way, whether diamond or step-thru frames, what a relief on the eyes.