Old 05-17-18, 09:00 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by wombat_alex
I didn't mean I'm in 3x9 all the time, my main ranges are 3x4 - 3x7 with occasional 3x8-3x9. Didn't really measure it but I think I do 80+ rpm.

On the subject, I've ridden the Q4 for a week (24mi roundtrips) and just tried the Q3 for a 5-mile ride. Mixed feelings, but I'm inclined to keep the Q4 and potentially spend the $200 difference on other upgrades, maybe nicer tires. Definitely, on't want to go tdo Giant Escape 1 Disc for the sake of better brakes at the cost of worse derailleurs.

After chain came off (a few hrs ago on a way back home, and it took me a few mins to realize how to place it back) I'm setting up an additional challenge for myself: learn how to work on a bike, thus easier brakes might suit me best.
I know this is nitpicky, but if you are on your big ring, you shouldn't be on your big cog. You are cross chaining, and this does stress the drivetrain, causing excessive wear. My rule of thump on my 9 speed triple is, on the middle ring, I use cogs 3 through 6. On the big ring, I use cogs 1 through 3. On the small ring, I use cogs 6 through 9. Keeps a straight chainline, and keeps me efficient.

As for your notion that you would rather spend your money on better rear derailleur than on better brakes, I would strongly disagree. Now, V brakes are just fine, and I wouldn't switch bikes just to get hydraulic discs. But if I were comparing two products, the performance difference between current Alivio and current Deore is small. Current Alivio is where Deore was just a few years ago, and on a hybrid, it is probably good for at least a decade of moderate to hard use.. Most of the difference in shift quality is in the shifters, in any event. Moreover, if you want to upgrade a derailleur, it is a simple and relatively cheap upgrade. (about $30 to $40 online, and you might be able to do the work yourself, or pay a competent mechanic a small fee to install it.) On the other hand, if you want to upgrade from V brakes to hydraulic discs, it is usually impossible, and if not impossible, so expensive that it usually makes sense just to switch bikes. So something to consider.

I am not saying you should buy the Giant. We get a little emotional about bikes, and one bike may well speak to you more than another. But I wouldn't get too attached to a rear derailleur, any more than I would get attached to, say, a screwdriver or a hammer. It is a tool, and as long as it does what it was designed to do, there really is no need for a fancier or more expensive screwdriver.