Old 05-19-18, 09:56 AM
linberl

Bikes: 2017 Bike Friday PakiT. Dahon Mu Uno (trailer bike) Sold: 2003 Bike Friday NWT, 1997 Trek 720, 1993 Trek 520)

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by moth54 View Post
Thanks again for your reply. and the link. You are right about 'endless sphere' it is a very rich source of information.

For many, ebikes are a way of staying in the bike game after various (human) body parts start to fail. That's a huge reward.

But I'm beginning to understand why the board promotes certain brands. It isn't that other brands might not be as good, it's getting the knowledge base about them to verify that they are 'as good' (or better, or worse).

Below is an example of the kinds of specifications I like to see about bikes, or for that matter about anything: detail and a standardized scale of relative performance. In this case, it is about how much water exposure is acceptable for a given rating, which tells one what would constitute abuse for the bike: Because simply being told, as we were, "Don't ride it in the rain" isn't much help, when rain could be a foggy drizzle or a downpour.

https://flx.bike/blogs/news/rain
Hopefully, as ebikes continue to gain popularity (more so in other countries) the info and ratings will improve. Often ratings apply to the motor but not the cables or connectors, so it's important to add protection to those points. I find this to be helpful in understanding water exposure: Water Proof, Water Resistant, and IPX - What Does It All Mean? - Outdoor Tech Blog