Old 05-20-18, 10:04 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
In the machine shop, horizontal band saws have long since replaced reciprocating hacksaws for cut off work. So, if the OP really needs to cut massive steel (like 8" I beams and such), they should get a portable band saw
Band saws are slow and have limited capacity - that portable one would be an exercise in frustration for anything large. I used to have a 4x6" tilting one, and while I did saw through a 3.5-inch cast iron bar with it, it took the better part of an hour and didn't cut it remotely straight. I couldn't imagine trying to hold a portable one in position long enough to do that (also induction motors are much quieter than universal motors). In comparison, the serious cutoff bandsaw you'll find at a metals vendor or large machine shop is a huge piece of equipment, not just from the capacity but to keep the blade aligned - same issue as with flexy stamped hacksaw frames really, but magnified. Unless there's a definite need for the portable, the small tilting one is a better investment, and there are plenty of articles on improving them.