Old 05-21-18, 10:58 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I do believe that spoke reflectors do work, I've seen it myself while driving. Bike up ahead approaching the same intersection I was, no lights on at all but I could easily make out the reflectors from about 1/4 mile away.

That being said, I removed my spoke reflectors and attached spoke lights purchased from Amazon and likely made in China. Not super super bright, but bright enough to get attention and provide some sideways visibility. I've also put reflective tape in strategic positions on the forks and the seat stays & chain stays, as well as white reflective tape around my wheels on both sides. I wouldn't be so gung ho about doing this but I do a lot of riding in the dark and I want to be seen. I've gotten the impression in the past that while rearward and front lights were adequate to get noticed, my side-to-side visibility was not that great until I added the spoke lights.

The lights I use came in a pack of 5 in various colors. I put a green and a color changing one on the front, and a red and second multicolor one on the rear. I have a blue one in reserve I can put on in case something happens to one of the others. They each operate on one CR2032 battery and I've been using them for a couple months now and have yet to replace any batteries.

And yes, this is a resurrected long-dead thread, but I think the idea of increasing your side-to-side visibility is important.