Old 05-21-18, 11:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3876 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 2,206 Posts
How do you stop yourself from buying another nice bike?

I wasn't looking on Craigslist for a bike, as 'my fleet run-eth over'.
I was looking for components to upgrade the existing bikes.

And then - there it was - a bargain price (not exactly a steal given the need for tires, cables, hoods, etc) on a red Cannondale from the 80s with original components. Not being a fan of early Cannondale race bikes, I started to move on when I noticed the rear wheel spacing well astern of the seat tube. Ah ha, a touring model with clearance for fat tires AND a nice rear rack.

And the next instant I'm coming up with excuses to buy it, even tho' I don't tour and the 'bigger tire application' is satisfied by more than 1 existing bike.

I resisted replying to the ad by telling myself that the money NOT spent on another bike would make nice upgrades for 2 or 3 bikes possible or new shoes+helmet. That argument worked for the weekend impulse, so BRAVELY resisted. But then on Monday morning, what do I check - yep, the red Cannondale is still for sale.

I reviewed my bike storage spaces (again) and they are all beyond full.
But.......... the seller is only a few miles away......... maybe I should go look at it........ maybe he will 1/2 the price to move it on..........maybe he has other things stashed away that would be useful.......maybe I'll make a friend of a cyclist who keeps a nice bike for 30+ years..........maybe this is the first bike in a collection he is selling and there are valuable old steelies available I truly desire..........MAYBE?

signed - Mr. Wishy Washy Undecided.

Last edited by Wildwood; 05-21-18 at 11:04 AM.