Old 05-22-18, 01:37 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I tried the 'limiting the collection' thing. This last time it was rebuilt from 1 vintage, the stipulation (with myself) was only one from every major Euro cyclng country. Then the Bottecchia came for a song = 2 Italians - but i can live with that. And the Mexican Carabela with chromed head lugs is goin to a friend - i swear it.

Lookin for a Raleigh Pro (in MY colour) because I know that at one point Raleigh produced enough bikes to be it's own cyclng country.

At age 67, i've more than enough bikes wearing nice tubulars to ride my legs off.

For anyone wanting a mid-80s Cannondale tourer, original 600 components, listed as size 62 (???) - check the Seattle CraigsList. Seller will accept less than listed price, don't quote me. But be careful, Seattle CL always has desirable vintage bikes.

edit: Let's go ride!
I've seen that "62cm" Cannondale ST. I chuckle because it is very much not a 62cm. The seller even alludes to measuring CTT, which, with old C'dales, is grossly misleading. As always, researching before selling is a good idea. It's likely a 58cm, so, too small for any of us tall guys.

For me, I'll go with the "is it nicer than what I have already" questioning system. Though I didn't need it/any bike, I got back from the Port Angeles metric century ride, and bought a 65cm Guerciotti, which was an unknown brand to me (hard to know them all!), but a bike that I had been tracking for several days before. Lots of mystery surrounding that early '80s Italian bike. Nice enough on the test ride, and I bought it. Small upgrades/tunings, including pumping up the tires from 48 psi (test ride) to 85/95 psi (once home), and then to heck with it, full teardown and build with proper pieces. Best bike in my fleet. I thought I was 'over' Columbus SL, having ridden multiple offerings and having those be superseded by my SLX Masi. Nope!

Right now I'm a bit at capacity, which helps limit things. As does the desire to spend money on another bike when I have a project midway already. Though if you are looking for a nice frameset or two from the '80s (my specialty, haha), I have a couple, including a proper 25"/63.5cm Cannondale ST400 in metallic black (just need to fix the water bottle cage bolt/rivet issue, ugh).

Last edited by RiddleOfSteel; 05-22-18 at 01:41 AM.