LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,748 Times in 2,764 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
That's the thing that bugs me - what risk factors? I've always heard below 95% while we're gaining fitness, we ramp up slow, and when we have a level of fitness then high intensity is no more, or little more, risk than moderate intensity even for older individuals. Is he stereotyping? Has the old-school attitude about stress tests? Am I completely off-base? I can't say that I know, not better than a doctor, but I just have to question it if he's talking from pure general principle given that he's advising an athlete.

It just raises my hackles a little bit, if a doctor assumes that we couldn't or shouldn't do something without a specific reason for it. Maybe there is one, and it's nobody's business, but it doesn't seem like it.
Indeed.

One can certainly train by Garmin, or one can train, using the Garmin. Recovery is a time to let your body rebuild from days of ripping your body to shreds. I go 3 days very hard, then 1 day off, a couple days very hard, another off. Based on what the numbers say, an easy week may be on tap. That's active recovery, and that's when your body does it's best building. If a Garmin is telling a rider to rest 2.5 days after a somewhat stressful 1.5-ish hours on the bike, then I call bull. I will also call bull on guessing numbers to put in. Not a slam, but garbage in, garbage out. Do it right, and then adjust.