Old 05-28-18, 02:42 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
Very cool, and thank you! Good tips! Yes, I’m a gear nerd for sure, but I’m also a process and performance improvement consultant by trade and profession, so I’m all about learning, improving, and eliminating waste. :-). At track class, I was one of only “roadies” who listened to the instructor and didn’t do my standing start like a roadie in a 200m sprint. I don’t see the point in paying for a class, taking up the time of the instructors, and committing to learning something if none of the advice is applied. The only unfortunate thing is that I am 7 hours from the nearest Velodrome, which really bums me out. So I’m going to have to get creative in how I train in between visits, until my kids are out of school and I can relocate. I’d train on the Velodrome daily if I lived there.
Your situation isn't uncommon on the Masters scene...or Elite scene for that matter.

I would suggest making the primary focus of your limited track time to be simply getting laps in at various speeds.

Maybe if you can arrange it, see if you can schedule 2 consecutive days at a time at the track. One day for training and one day for racing (or vice-versa). For example, TTown races Masters on Saturday afternoons (or used to) and I knew guys who would drive up on Saturday morning and race the afternoon session, spend the night at a hotel, train Sunday morning during open track, then drive home. That's a fair amount of volume and intensity on the track.

Also, if you can, have someone video you doing some time trials to track your progress. You can time yourself from the computer later. You don't want someone timing you and simply giving you a time. They may not be experienced timers and log your 12.0" flying 200 as a 12.9"...it has happened...a lot