Old 05-28-18, 03:56 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2145 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA View Post
I believe this is the big issue,

Not specifically lifting, but the whole way a person rides.

I subscriber to the theory that all things are breakable, so what needs to be done to minimize breakage?. To me this trumps the science of why the spoke broke.

I am a road rider, so I avoid holes (if possible). I do not jump curbs, even though I have in the past when clipped in. I lift for any visible bump, including the NIMBY speed humps even if the newer gradual type, and even my driverway, but more for comfort than anything else. I also rode the same bike and wheels for 40 years with long periods of inactivity and resulting weight gains and loss. The wheels were hand built with strong rims, quality HF hubs and 36 quality DB spokes. Over the years I never had to true those rims, and all the tires were 27" x 1" (25mm) @80-90 PSI or 1 1/8 (28mm) @ 75PSI with wire beads as the rims were not hooked. I also used that bike to ride the C&O towpath and long stretchs of dirt roads in Canada and never had an issue. If the path/roads got too rough, I would dismount and walk over the rough terrain. I have also never had a pinch flat on any bike, even my old Columbia cruiser as a kid.

In short my goal was to finish the ride riding, and not walking home due to a breakage I could have avoided. I also think that over many of those years, if you broke you walked back. No cell phones for rescue for many of those years. Even so, I did and still do with my new bike, always carry 3 spare spokes, 1 front, and 1 for each side of the rear wheel. I carry them in a piece of clear vinyl tube inserted into the seat post. I would use them if the tire had flatted and it was grievously out of true, otherwise it could wait for down time (especially the cassette side of the rear)..

I still follow my rules for the current bike with 700c x 28-35mm tires. I run the 28s @90PSI front and 100PSI rear and the 32s at 70/80 F/R. I have 2 sets of wheels, the factory set and a hand built set optimized for the wider tires. Both have been problem free. It has worked for me..

But after all that, I do admit that i do find the science facinating.
While these are all good ideas to avoid beating up your bike, impacts are unlikely to specifically break spokes, if that's what we're talking about. Impacts will brake rims and axles. There isn't a good way for an impact to concentrate force on just a few spokes to overstress them to break them. For impacts to damage spokes over time, you'd have to keep hitting bumps with the same section of the rim.