RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by Limpingbass
Hmm I don't remember the names but when I frequented the forum a lot more often as a lurker, I remember seeing them. There was a guy who posted videos of him passing triathletes in his commuter bike but I don't think he is around any more. Hypno toad is right here in this thread.
I think you might mean JoeyBike (his BF tagline is "20+mph Commuter"). As I recall, when he was on his "Geek Hunts", he was not commuting, but specifically riding out on the course where "triathletes" often train (but I'm sure on the same bike he would commute with, Surly LHT or CrossCheck I think). Mostly he would pass them, a few he would not pass, or not be able to stay past; those few are probably real triathletes, their equipment and clothing are making more of a significant difference for them, plus they're probably generally stronger riders. The majority of the 'geeks' were just regular joes who are not especially strong riders, but were convinced to buy tri bikes and spandex.

I'm sure JoeyBike is a strong rider himself, if he's so successful on his geek-hunts. Maybe his commuting situation really does allow 20+mph true average, maybe he also just means 20+mph typical/cruising speed.