View Single Post
Old 06-03-18, 02:52 PM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut View Post
There are some options to make this bike considerably lighter w/o much investment (depending on your needs):

- you have the telescopic seat post on the bike, but (at least on the photos) you seem not to use the telescopic part. Swap it for the non telescopic version would save you several 100g, swapping for a 3rd party titanium or carbon one from ebay even more.
- Not sure about the weight of the Selle SMP saddle. The stock Brompton Saddle is in the ~340g range. There are lighter saddles out there that may fit your bum. If interested I'd recommend looking at the Terry arteria or SQ-Lab (buth there are many).
- you have Schwalbe Marathons on the bike. Failsafe but heavy. Swap them for Schwalbe Kojaks, Marathon Racers or the discontinued Brompton Kevelars and you save again several 100g, with the exact amount depending from the tire choice. Plus those all roll better, again with the amount depending from the tire choice. (Btw.: Keep your tire pressure at 100 PSI - again a world of a difference).
- The original Brompton S-handlebar is about ~110g - surprisingly light. Swap your 3rd party MTB-bar for it and you will almost certainly save on weight.
- Leave pump (~90g) and toolkit (~200g) at home. Obviously a disadvantage when the **** hits the fan but again saving several 100g.
- Get a 2-speed rear wheel and use this instead of your 6-speed as long as you are not going into the hills. The 2-speed is a bit counterintuitive and widely underestimated as it seems pretty limited but it saves ~750g and is a (surprisingly) smooth ride for most people in a much wider area than expected. It is an easy swap back and forth - shifters can be left in place, just the wheel and (depending from your needs) the chainwheel and the chain. A 10 minute job. Most people that I know never swap back to the six speed or only very very occasionally.

Those tiny bits sum up - all in should easily be more than 1,5 kgs of weight saving possible (which is a whole world) just with the things mentioned above. Obviously your mileage may vary, just wanted to open you some possibilities.

BTW: I am wondering why you have the easy wheels mounted to your bike - the new standard wheels roll better in my opinion and come for free with the bike.

Some very good ideas. Thanks! I am building this bike with weight not being a factor but still want to keep it around or under 30lbs. I am already thinking of a Brompton for my wife and will probably do light weight brompton for her with Ti parts and some of your suggestions. I agree, everything adds up in the end. I once had an obsession to build a road bike under 15lbs (10 years ago).