View Single Post
Old 06-05-18, 09:30 AM
rishardh

Bikes: Kestrel Talon; Giant NRS Air; Litespeed Tuscany; Burley Rivazza; Cerverlo RS; BMC SLX01; Litespeed C1r, Merckx Corsa 01, Schwinn Traveller, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by berlinonaut View Post
The difference while riding is very small, though some people say the ti-version would be more comfortable. I am not sensitive enough to recognize a relevant difference. When carrying it makes a whole of a difference (and I have to carry my bikes a lot). The other thing is: Many Brompton riders try to bring down bike weight after some time which can be to a degree done with aftermarket parts but takes research, time and effort. Saving ~750g from the start is a good idea, the more, as you can switch to the ti fork and rear frame later only for even more money. Plus ti is corrosion resistant and will not wear relevantly regarding the looks. The steel will, especially on the chainstay where the frontwheel is hooked in. So in the end ti has some advantages but costs a lot extra. It has however no disadvantages apart from the price. Thus: If you can afford it a good choice.

You could get there by just adding a 39t chainwheel to the stock 54t on the front - exactly 40 to 75 GI. You do not have to stop to downshift (can be done with a heelstrike), but greasy fingers apply for shifting to the big chainwheel. A classical "granny gear" setup.
Bicycle Gear Calculator

Thanks berlinonaut. That's an option I never thought of but dislike dismounting to shift. If I get stronger I might go with the 2 speed and and do a double chain ring setup for lazy days / feel good days.