View Single Post
Old 06-05-18, 12:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
The first thing I think of is the lack of intended compatibility between road and ATB when it concerns front systems. There's a reason why Trek speced the bar ends in the first place. This compatibility challenge continues to the ATB crankset that's been the OEM on the 520 for many years too. While the differences of cable pull/der movement per index point/chainring spacing are not large they do usually result in a system that sort of works but has chain rub in some/many combos.

So if I were the shop that did this to you I would want to talk about alternatives. Returning to bar ends, Using one of the thumb lever attachment conversions which locate the levers on or close to the brake blades. Swapping out the ft der and the crank/BB to road too. Swapping only the controls to x3 brifters but include a Shiftmate 7 adapterhttp://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-compatibility-charts-choices/ . Andy