Old 06-10-18, 06:23 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Friction shifter pull ratio?

I'm having trouble finding information on this topic because...well...I'm probably not using the correct terminology. I'm not talking "pull ratio" as in Shimano is 1.7:1 or 2:1, SRAM is 1:1, etc. I'm talking "pull ratio" like in the brake lever world. There are "short pull" brake levers (most conventional ones designed for calipers or cantis) and there are "long pull" brake levers, designed for V brakes or mechanical discs.

What does this have to do with shifters?

My '69 Peugeot PO-18 had Huret down tube shifters, a Simplex rear derailer, and a 5-speed freewheel. I have swapped the derailer for a newer Shimano SIS derailer and I've swapped the wheel for one with a 7-speed cassette. With the original setup, the chain was in the small sprocket with the shifter all the way forward, parallel with the down tube, and I could have the chain in the large sprocket with the shifter pulled back about 100 or so degrees compared with high gear. With my Shimano derailer and 2 additional sprockets, I can get the chain into the largest one, but the shifter is pulled back 180 degrees from rest...that is, it's parallel with the down tube, but facing the crank instead of the fork. I have to pull it back and then press it down with my thumb to get it into low gear. It seems a little goofy like this.

Back to the brake levers, long pull levers pull more cable for the same lever pull distance, right? Is there such a concept for down tube shifters (or even friction shifters in general, such as thumb shifters)? Do shifters exist that pull more cable so that I don't have to have this shifter cable essentially folded back over on itself to be in low gear?

Thanks in advance.