Old 06-11-18, 08:51 AM
JuiceWillis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo

Bigger than what? Race gear?

The gear I go fastest in tends to work best. If you have the time, trial gears and keep going bigger until the top speed drops off. Running big gears requires the development to do so and that doesn’t happen overnight, so you can’t just go from running 88” all season and throw 135” on and expect miracles to happen. FWIW my PB is on 117” on 175 cranks

Don’t get hung up on what others use. Play your own game and work out where your strengths lie and play to them, but don’t be afraid to go big!
i agree, this was more of a curiosity question. I’ve run what most consider “big” on the local level (96-98in) in enduro events and had some success. Once i got away from 88-92in I started to have much more success as long as i rode the race knowing i had on a bigger gear than pretty much everyone. My tactics changed as a result and i had success. I have been steadily creeping up on gearing for sprint training and I’ve noticed that: I’m not as fatigued as i was spinning the hell out of smaller gears, and my “jump” is pretty good and i don’t feel wasted trying to respond.

Like me i said this would be my first proper sprint tournament, so I am working the next few weeks solely on that.