Old 06-11-18, 02:06 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I posted a similar thread a year or so ago, but now it's official: If I ever want to ride with my wife again I need to get a real gravel bike.

Equally official: My Sachs with 27c tires doesn't qualify as a "real gravel bike" for the kind of off-road riding she's gotten into. (And even 28c won't fit under the Campy brake calipers.)

Fortunately, I'm in the position where a new gravel bike can easily be justified...just so long as it can also replace my commuter bike. Currently using a 1986 Bridgestone 600 with full-coverage SKS fenders for commuting.

So I'm looking for a bike with disc brakes & 11-speed (so I can swap wheels w/ the missus) that has mounts for full-coverage fenders front & back, can take at least a 32c tire with those fenders and 38 or 40 without, and sells for less than $2000.

The Cannondale CAADX 105 SE hits all those bullet points.

(Although admittedly the tire/fender clearance is suspect w/ larger than 28c tires, so I might want to get one 650b wheelset so I don't have to remove the fenders when doing the gnarliest off-road routes.)

Is there anything else in this price range that I should be seriously investigating, or should I save myself a lot of angst/research and just get a CAADX?

Thanks.
Not sure on the newest ones, but on my 2016 CAADX, I run 45mm PDW full metal fenders and fit up to a 36c under them without clearance issues. The external cable routing is a bit suboptimal but I just run housing liner between the stops. The new version seems to lack rack mounts if that matters to you