View Single Post
Old 06-12-18, 04:14 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 615 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by John9 View Post
Any road riders in the Novi / Walled Lake area? I'm new to the area and am looking for routes and/or bike friendly roads, which seem to be lacking around here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a car rack, so I am open to traveling around Metro Detroit / Ann Arbor/ Brighton in order to find some good routes. Thanks!
I don’t know the Oakland suburbs well for cycling, but I have always thought that area might be good for cycling if you can find good routes, The architectural critic of the Boston Globe once described Southfield, MI as the “City of Towers and Cars,” in contrast to Boston as the "City of Outdoor Rooms."
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston View Post
...Several years ago, the architectural critic of the Boston Globe, Robert Campbell, was visiting Southfield, Michigan, a town I know well, and described it as the “City of Towers and Cars” (including “busy highways and vast parking lots" [and tall office buildings, and sprawling office and retail parks]).

In his article, he contrasted that to the “City of Outdoor Rooms” (Boston) which is visited as one would visit a person’s home, passing through the various portals, from room to room, admiring the furnishings within.
If you are willing to travel:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston View Post
Looking for Detroit area casual ride

Though I have lived in Boston for many years, I’m a native of Detroit City Proper, and most of the family is in Macomb and Oakland Counties. I visit a couple times a year, with my bike, and I made the acquaintance of the Clinton River Riders.
Detroit Proper has been touted as having a good cycling infrastructure, wide roads with diminished traffic, See this thread, “Riding through Detroit,”
Originally Posted by oddjob2 View Post
I have lived in southeastern Michigan since 1982, 30 years in Ann Arbor, and 5 in Grosse Pointe. I have been sailing with Bayview Yacht Club, at the foot of Conner, since 1987.

Never did I think I would ride a bike or have any interest in downtown Detroit until about 2011. Now I ride through Jefferson Chalmers to Bayview without a thought.

Since living in GP, I have Slow Rolled, visited Belle Isle, River Walk, Comerica Park on opening day, Mexican Town, Midtown, Indian Village, Corktown, Eastern Market, and New Center, via bike.

During daylight hours, I would say there are NO concerns of riding west to east between Mexican Town all the way to Grosse Pointe. I would avoid being on the road before 9:00 am or 4:00-5:30 pm to avoid commuters....
...for a few years I lived in the Cass Corridor, and cycled down around there. I used to consider the Grosse Pointes as a public cycling park.
IMO, Ann Arbor and vicinity is a cycling mecca.
...Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban
Finally, when I want to do a long ride without much traffic, the Metroparks Stony Creek and Kensington Lake have nice circuits of several miles, to repeat.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-12-18 at 07:39 AM.