Old 06-13-18, 05:23 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I've tried many different things. Even had a pair of powercranks for a while.

I've said it twice already, but it's been shown repeatedly that "pedaling circles" is not an efficient method of producing power. And it's been shown repeatedly that even the best cyclists are simply unweighting, rather than trying a circular motion. If I want to put out the most power possible, I'm putting out the most power possible the most efficient way possible. Which is not the method you're proposing. Which is why hardly anyone does it.
I agree pedaling in full circles is not the most efficient, I don't actually do that, or believe anyone else does. The original poster wasn't asking about putting out the most power, only about making a "smooth power graph". I was just trying to say that working on pedaling can help smooth out that plot of power over some distance or short interval of time.

I don't think that article is talking about what your'e talking about. It's talking about a "fluid spin" as in you're not bouncing off the saddle when you pedal over 90 rpm, which generally involves getting used to relaxing different parts of the body and simply getting used to it. It's not talking about spinning circles to create a more steady power output. And then with lower cadence, simply developing the strength to muscle over things. Again, not smoothing out a pedal stroke
It actually is what I am talking about. It takes practice and trying to apply pressure through the upper rotation, downwards, and through the lower rotation of the pedal stroke. Having a fluid pedal stroke will help create a smooth power application, and therefore a smooth power graph for some parts of a ride. It's what I showed in the image posted earlier.

As I said before, it's a lot eaiser to flatten out power output at higher power, and it's also easier going uphill with constant pressure on the pedals (when you're typically producing more power).
I also agree with you here too. I think we are saying essentially the same things, but I am probably being to literal in responding to the original question or not clear in my communication. I was only originally trying to address the original question of how to produce a flat power graph. Not talking about sprinting, high power application or anything else, but literally what they needed to do to see a flat section of power. It's not something that I think could be maintained through an entire ride. I've certainly never seen it, there's always going to be spikes. It just doesn't work that way, but for a short section, I think it can within reason.

I appreciate your previous responses and dialog.