Old 06-13-18, 11:12 AM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

What is that cap made out of? What is that mouthpiece you're putting in your mouth and chewing on to open made out of?

Originally Posted by Oneder
The problem is they can stick whatever they want into plastic so long as it's not proven unsafe. So one thing gets banned and they just move on to the next almost identical compound. What a joke.
Right - so we've finally declared BPA to be bad. What about the rest of the Bisphenol compounds that may or may not be currently used in your plastic? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisphenol We just don't have the studies.
There was a detailed article about the problems caused by DuPont when they started dumping Perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA, C8) used for making Teflon(tm) into the water supply of Parkersburg, West VA. DuPont settled a lawsuit and promised to stop using PFOA. Instead, a plant was built in North Carolina which is using an alternative to PFOA called GenX - and several contaminations of the water supply have taken place already. The chemical formula for PFOA is C8HF15O2 and for GenX it's C6HF11O3. I'm not a chemist but it's pretty darn close - then again, a single ion addition can totally change something from being toxic to being non-toxic.

Point is, we just don't have enough information about the plasticizers used currently. With all that said, however, even though we have some of the best/cleanest tap water in the country in MA, we still filter it out of habit plus never know what kind of pesticides/insecticides/medicinals/local pipe residues are in it. I use a plastic Camelback Podium bottle for biking and when they get old and scuffed I just replace them - I don't feel like it's much of a threat, keeping water in one for a couple of hours.
Likes For autonomy: