Old 06-13-18, 11:17 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Two-wheeled human-powered vehicles, but that's not important right now

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1057 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mthorste View Post
You need to get your heart rate up if you want to see results so a leisurely ride around the block probably won't get it done.
Exactly. It's said that you need 30 minutes of heart-pumping exercise a day for it to be beneficial (excluding rest days, of course), so don't think a few short rides around the neighborhood will make a huge difference. I built myself up to 10 miles a day which takes me just under 45 minutes. It must be having an effect because a few years ago I had borderline high blood pressure, and I had it checked a couple days ago and it was nearly perfect.

Also, don't think that you can outride a bad diet. Use bicycling in conjunction with a healthy diet and you'll really notice the pounds dropping off. But if you don't change your diet, you're not going to notice much difference. Even riding 10 miles a day and longer rides on weekends, if I eat the wrong foods or eat too much I see it on the scales.

So while I think the 7D is a good beginner bike, you'll likely eventually want to "upgrade" to a good road bike or hybrid or something as you start losing weight, getting toned, and riding longer distances.