Thread: Mixte sizing?
View Single Post
Old 06-14-18, 07:00 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: '18 Redline Zander MTB, '14 Surly Pugsley, '97 Trek MultiTrack 750, '70 Peugeot UO-18 Mixte

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked 437 Times in 337 Posts
This thread is interesting to me because I recently bought my first mixte, a late '60s Peugeot. It has a 52cm seat tube (CTT) and a 56cm effective top tube (CTC). I expected that it would feel "roomy" to me, but it felt the opposite -- maybe a bit cramped. This frame sizing is somewhat similar to other bikes I ride (very similar to my 21" Trek 750).

I decided that the primary difference is the relatively short reach stem, and the city bars that the bike had, which had a ~20 degree backsweep to them. Most of my other bikes have longer reach stems and bars without so much backsweep. It's amazing what just a few cm here or there can do to the fit and feel of a bike.

I ended up using a much taller stem (a Nitto Dirt Drop style stem) with a different handlebar. It's a postino-style bar, which combines a backsweep with a forward "kick" on either side of the clamp area, so the grip position is further forward relative to the saddle than it was with the stock parts. It feels great to me now.

It definitely has a higher head tube than standard diamond frame bikes -- the top of the seat tube is 30"/76cm from the floor and the top of the head tube is 33"/84cm from the floor. That's quite a difference. It makes me think that today's "dual sport" type of bike (like Trek DS), with its high head tube and sharply raked top tube, is the modern "mixte for men"!