Thread: Novi MI Routes
View Single Post
Old 06-15-18, 09:27 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Baron Optima LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, 1989 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot P8, '06 Giant Rincon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My reply:
Novi and Walled Lake suck for bike riding. No shoulders, and high traffic. Doing loops around Walled Lake isn't too bad. But I can imagine the scenery getting old quickly.

Thankfully, you have paved routes going West and South.
For the south route, you can start at Novi's Walsh College on Meadowbrook and catch the I275 Trail to Hines Drive. This part of the trail is starting to need repaving, especially between 6 mile and M14. But it's not too bad. Once at Hines Drive, you can tour Hines. Even more, as you pass on Hines under I275, you can pick up the Southern part of the I275 trail. Very smooth, fast, and takes you to the Lower Huron, Willow, and Oakwoods Metroparks.
For the Western Route, Pontiac Trail has a nice shoulder into Wixom from Walled Lake, where you can pick up the rail trail to New Hudson. From there, South to South Lyon, or West to Kensington Metro Park and and Island Lake State Parks. To South Lyon, the rail trail is a bit rough. Pretty smooth to the MetroParks (except for the rough hill going through the park just West of New Hudson).
And after Island Lake state park, you can catch the trail from JC Penny's down Feldcrest (along US23) to M36 and catch the Lakeland Rail Trail into Pinckney.

All depends on how ambitious you are. But, there are spots to ride.

I should also mention the crushed stone trail from Haggarty (just south of Pontail Trail) which leads to Pontiac Michigan. I wouldn't go that far, as the closer you get to Pontiac, the more aggressive the local behavior is towards cyclists.

Last edited by friday1970; 06-15-18 at 10:21 AM.