I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Support Group for SERIOUS CYLISTS?

I had a recent on line discussion with Denver Fox on another list and he disagreed with my impression of this Forum as being a support group/province for Serious Cyclists, i.e. Road Cycling Enthusiasts.

Perhaps I am mistaken, but the majority of posts seem to be about how to continue or step up to Serious Cycling; subjects to include dropping other cyclists, cycling X number of miles on training rides, counting/logging mileage, tracking cadence, acquiring/comparing/ lusting for high priced Serious Cycling equipment and associated paraphernalia (expensive Road bicycles, cycling specific clothing, pedal- shoe systems, cycling computers, Heart Rate Monitors, etc).

Yes, I have read posts that acknowledged that all cycling is good, even if not done on Serious Bicycles, or at Serious speed. But to me, these almost always seemed condescending towards those cyclists who don't want to "step up" to the higher level of a Real Roadie.

So my question is - are there any 50+ year olds on this list who cycle either for recreation or transportation (or both) and eschew the Serious Cyclist Roadie esotericism, and have no desire to become a Serious Cyclist; but prefer to just be a cyclist, i.e. "Freds," to use a term often used in derision by snooty cyclists towards cyclists like myself who don't fit the Serious Cyclist Roadie/Club Cyclist profile.

Note: I am 3 weeks from my 59th birthday and commute daily year round, 24 miles R/T, on a 6 year old city bike bought in Germany for DM268, (about $135) and don't own a stitch of cycling clothing and do not aspire to raise my performance level but just to continue enjoy cycling.

I have no problem with anyone's cycling preference but am curious as to why the discussion of this over 50 Forum is so narrowly focused.