Old 06-19-18, 07:35 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gorge riding conditions (closures, smoke, best routes, etc.)

Like it says above, thread intended to track conditions in the Columbia River Gorge; road closures and conditions, construction, forest fire smoke, and best routes. On top of fire closures, construction seems to regularly either close roads outright or degrade cycling conditions through loss of lanes/shoulders, and construction (including new logging, it shifts around regularly) equipment and vehicles can make passing through extra dangerous as well.

I doubt I'm the only one who struggles to keep track of what's the best route east west along the Gorge. I'm pretty sure the below linked closure is still in effect, and most likely will be until Fall, or later.

I also would like to track/report smoke here. After having forest fires blanket my cycling routes touring a number of times now, twice with my having to cycle out of smoke filled areas, once irritating my lungs for a long time afterward, I think this is critical information as well. Airborne poison oak on the inside of the lungs sucks.

It's hopefully not quite fire season yet, but the way things have been going, it wouldn't surprise me if we had more closures over the next few months. :/

Oregon State Parks closes bike route on Oregon side of the Gorge for summer 2018 KPIC