J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
I would most likely ride from south to north. My experience on the Great Plains has been winds come from the south more often than the north - and occasionally there is a front pushing down from the north/northwest with both cooler temperatures and more severe weather. With those fronts and sometimes just other times, there can be thunderstorms sometimes severe - as well as more winds from the north. Route 83 is roughly close to the 100th meridian where there is a transition between more humid/more precipitation and drier areas. In any case, I'd ride from the south hoping that averages pan out and I end up with more tailwinds than headwinds - and avoid the worst of hail storms.

If I were to ride it all in one go, I'd pick a time that is cooler in south Texas but still not too cold in North Dakota. An April departure seems about right. Probably also some time in the fall - though in that case, the seasons are working against you (too early is too hot in TX, too late increases risk of more severe fall storms in ND).

However, I've been thinking more about doing the northern half now, this summer, from Amarillo to Minot - and following up later with the southern half.
I'm actually considering this ride. Do you think that it'd be okay to leave Brownsville on May 1st, or would the heat be brutal?