Old 06-22-18, 08:49 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 832 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777 View Post
Sounds good. I ordered the Axiom Journey rack. It should arrive in a few days.

I held off on ordering a rack for my CrossTrail for a long time due to a perceived issue with it clearing the disc brakes and not looking good with alternative mounting points and lots of bending of the rack involved!
I've had that rack on my ride for a year now and I haven't been disappointed with it 1 single time. Even stopped at HomeDepot on the way home one day to get a garbage disposal. Bungie corded it on the Axiom Journey and the big heavy box bouncing around on bumpy roads didn't make the rack budge.

Did you get the normal Journey on the one specific fro Disc Brakes? The normal one fits just fine. You do NOT need the disc brake model. But the normal model does need to stretch a smidge to fit.

And remember, 100% of the rack's load is sitting on the 2 mounting bolts. (The forward bolts that connection higher up at the top of the frame just keep it from swaying forward and backward. They aren't supporting the load.) The rack is only as strong as those 2 bolts. I can't remember what it comes with but I used stronger steel bolts to mount the rack. Bear in mind the steel bolts are harder than the aluminum frame. So if you cross thread it, you will screw up mounting hole quickly. Be careful. But it will make for a stronger rack.