Old 06-22-18, 05:25 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Originally Posted by cmsanfor
Hey Guys! So I posted some threads in the sales section of the forum over the last few weeks to get a build going. I have a roughly 1976 Carlsbad Masi Gran Criterium that's been my main road bike for a few years. It was a grail bike for me for a long time, and when I finally picked one up I ended up really loving the ride quality as well. Had it built up with Campy Athena 11 speed parts and 32c tires, and felt like it was the perfect mix of comfortable and quick.

Fast-forward to today, I started taking some framebuilding classes and finally finished my first bike. That will be receiving the components from the Masi, and I'm planning on returning it to a more-or-less period correct state. I decided to go primarily french with the components, because honestly it was just more exciting to me than getting a campy group and calling it a day. I ended up getting a Huret Jubilee derailleur set, some simplex retro-friction shifters, a set of Mafac Competition brakes and levers, and a Stronglight 93 crankset. The bike currently has wheelset with campy 8-speed chorus hubs and pacenti forza rims. Don't know that they'll look the part exactly, but they're great wheels and I figure I'll at least use them for a bit. Planning on running a 13-28t cassette and doing whatever fussing is necessary to make that work with the huret stuff. Chainrings will be 52/38.

Here are some pictures of the bike as it sits, and I'll drop in updates as I finish tidying up new components. Thanks and definitely keep me posted with suggestions!

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Neat! France invades Italy -- what's French for Veni, Vedi Vici?
No, more like C'est la vie when it comes to the French.....