Thread: Ditching Strava
View Single Post
Old 06-22-18, 06:19 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Wilier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Co-Motion Robusta; Schwinn Paramount; Motobecane Phantom Cross; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Calfee Dragonfly Tandem

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Originally Posted by kbarch View Post
Are you serious? You know, not being a Cat 1 racer does not equal "complete inexperience." Perhaps you take your own considerable training and experience too much for granted.
Most people have a pretty good sense of the level of effort they're putting out as they pedal, but I'd submit that unless they've ridden with a computer or made a point of counting pedals strokes, (or are musicians) most riders wouldn't have the slightest clue what there cadence is, ever. People ride for years without paying any attention to cadence. Combine that with the fact that conditions can vary very gradually, especially on essentially/seemingly flat roads, it takes quite a while (relatively speaking) before many riders even realize they've slowed down or speeded up.
I'd agree if you've never ridden with cadence, or learned to count your pedal strokes and calculate cadence (which we did BITD w/o cadence meters) you may not have a good feel for your cadence.

But after you've ridden with a cadence meter, or just spent time counting your pedal strokes, you quickly get a pretty precise feel of your cadence.

Same thing with power. After awhile training with power you get a pretty good feel of your power output, and where you are as a percentage of ftp.

Pretty sure I can ride with no electronics and tell you my cadence and power within 5%

IMHO, the value of cadence meters and moreso power meters decrease the longer you use them.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.