Thread: Ditching Strava
View Single Post
Old 06-23-18, 04:11 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
Wow. Keeping a pace is not rocket science, it doesn't require counting anything, and it doesn't take much experience pedaling a bike. I seriously question how many pacelines people have been in if they genuinely can't figure out how to maintain pace without a computer.

That's pretty mindboggling.

If you struggle with keeping pace to such an extent, then you should pull through and off. Simple as that. Pretty hard to mess that up.
I wouldn't admit to being mind-boggled by things that actually happen all the time. You know, people do mess up at the front of pace lines because they haven't learned to judge and manage their cadence (among other things). No, it's not rocket science, but it's not automatic, either. It would be silly for new and developing riders to not use cycling computers just because experienced riders don't need them. They're great training aids, and I think the point that was originally being made is that it's really bad form for untrained riders to dismiss them and not make an attempt to learn.
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh View Post
IMHO, the value of cadence meters... decrease the longer you use them.
Yes, I think their value comes in the learning. And once you've learned, it's like riding a bike.