Thread: Ditching Strava
View Single Post
Old 06-23-18, 01:25 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1095 Post(s)
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
I'm not sure how depending on a bike computer or having instant access to speed is a great training aid in regards to group riding, but as I said before, there's a gross dependency on technology at the expense of a little self-awareness and common sense.
You mentioned self-awareness. Actually, I'd agree with you more if you said people were relying on technology at the expense of awareness of what's happening around them. When it comes to pace lines, one of the biggest tricks is learning to be sensitive at the front to what is and will be happening behind, where one can't see, as grade, wind, and road conditions change, don't you think? I'd definitely agree: cycling computers are little or no help in that regard.

Meanwhile, when one starts to develop pace line proficiency, one only knows that being in front means having to do more work. But how much more work? When ones turn at the front comes, how does one know if one is working too much harder or not harder enough? It's just helpful - not "gross dependency on technology" - to use a computer to get the answer. Otherwise, chances are someone is going to be yelling to take it easy or stop slacking!