Old 06-28-18, 12:25 PM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I've finally managed to install my Axiom Journey rear rack onto my CrossTrail. I found out a week ago that the rear brake pads were not the same as the front ones. After several days of research I located Shimano K04S (metal sintered pads) to replace the Tektro resin pads that I wasn't happy with.

Surprisingly, neither Specialized HQ nor TRP could help me!!! I then called three Specialized stores and got three different answers, but they led me down the correct trail. The rear pads on my CrossTrail model are the same shape as pads for Shimano BR-RS805 / BR-RS505 calipers. However, the finned versions will not fit. So after some false attempts I settled on the Shimano K04S pads and they seem fine.

So pads front and rear sorted and the braking has improved somewhat after conditioning the pads.

Now to the Axiom Journey rack - it fits beautifully on the CrossTrail. Just four 4mm bolts fit to the frame and two 5mm bolts hold the arms.

Top tip: loosely fit all the frame bolts, loosen the arm bolts, grab hold of the very front of the rack, hold on to the back of the saddle and pull the rack to the back of the bike. The instructions suggest not to level it, but to leave it sloping very slightly down towards the front of the bike.

Here's the end result.

I also took the opportunity to mount my Stix Elite rear light onto the reflector mount that's included with the rack. In order to do this I had to order the Specialized Stix Reflector Mount. It's this part here:

https://www.specialized.com/gb/en/st...mount/p/132458

And here's the end result: