View Single Post
Old 06-29-18, 07:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by COBikeLover
I look at a tons of images of bike setups now and kind of gravitate towards looking at how folks setup their bikes for long distance. I am actually surprised by the amount of pictures I have seen that more people aren't actually using the Flyer more. Not quite sure why because I would think folks look for max comfort at high miles, and I would think this would be just a logical trade off. But when you keep looking over tons of setups, I just don't see this being reality on most setups at all.
Flyer is heavier than the B17, a lot of people are quite weight conscious. And the springs are pretty stiff so it does not give you that Cadilac ride, instead it makes the potholes slightly more tolerable. An individuals weight is also a factor, the lighter you are the less you depress teh springs so a pretty light rider might not even notice the difference between the sprung and unsprung saddles. I weigh about 180 pounds and I am not as concerned about light weight as most, thus I put up with the additional weight for the slight gain for springs. On a rough chip seal road the springs might smooth it out a bit too.

When I did mountain biking on my expedition bike with a Flyer, I also used a suspension fork and a suspension seatpost, but there is no rear suspension on that bike.