View Single Post
Old 06-29-18, 08:01 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I rode the Erie Canal for a few days and thought it was the best, most trouble free tour I've ever taken. I met a lot of other Ahhh, mature (that's the word) riders along the way.
Here's a link to my blogpost: Simply Cycle: A glorious week on the Erie Canal Trail

Marc
Very nice! I've still got the map, this ride is very much on my to do list.

Originally Posted by scott967
My wife is from Rochester. Never ridden on the canal, but have seen plenty of activity along it in the Pittsford area. The canal actually went through downtown Rochester, but was re-routed to the south. The original route became a street car/subway route and later a freeway.

scott s.
Spent Junior High School and High School years there. Lots of miles on the local (high speed) roads, either solo or with my best friend. Bike lanes? What are those? Canal? A couple of boats a day, but otherwise virtually unused.

A couple of years ago I got to do a short ride along the canal path. Pics (and brief "story") can be found in "Metro Boston: Good ride today?", because I now live in Metro Boston.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Two score years ago I rode around these parts outside of Rochester NY.

Here, the highways are fast (55 mph national speed limit back then) but the shoulders are very wide. But there was either just me, or just me and my friend bold enough to ride bicycles on these roads around here. Now the Erie Canal is a transportation resource again - but the vehicles are bicycles. LOTS of people on bicycles.
-mr. bill