wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by FromBeyond
Don't use a barbell for military press/ohp. It's terrible for your shoulders. Search youtube for athleanx shoulders. Your shoulders need to rotate as they move up and down and a barbell does not let them do this. I jacked up my shoulder doing this very thing in 2011 and it still flairs up from time to time.
Dumbbells, however, are great. AND, you have better control of the fore/aft location as you move up and down. Which is going to be more spine-friendly as well.
Barbell OHP is only bad for people who have pre-existing shoulder issues and/or lack mobility/flexibility in their shoulders. It's also bad for people who have bad posture and rounded shoulders..... It's perfectly safe if you have healthy shoulders and enough mobility to do this exercise correctly...The best way to keep your shoulders healthy is to train your back, especially your upper back...For every pushing movement you should be doing two pulling movements...Rows, pull ups, inverted rows, face pulls etc are necessary for healthy shoulders, if you only doing pushing exercises, you're going to have problems.