View Single Post
Old 07-02-18, 09:12 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Just seeing this!!

I’ve ridden the BRP on numerous occasions and rode the full length plus Skyline Drive two years ago. First, there were parts of the BRP that were closed recently for one reason or another that you might want to check into. Sometimes the detours can be onerous even in a vehicle. Were you planning to camp or just use hotels?

I think someone mentioned climbing. While most of the climbs aren’t as long as you’ll find out West you can still expect 3-5 mile climbs at 6%.

Some places I’d recommend, Peaks of Otter Lodge in Va.......if you headed north from their you’d climb for several miles then you could descend for 13 miles (longest on the BRP). Of course you’d need to climb it to get back to the car. Or you could go South with more up and down in smaller bites. Peaks of Otter is one of my favorites though, good restaurant as well.

Floyd is just off the Parkway with decent lodging and food. I think you could do an out and back to Mabry Mill from near there.

There’s a nice stretch south of Blowing Rock that goes across the Viaduct over towards Grandfather Mtn. I think the viaduct just reopened. Hwy 221 would be a nice road to come back to BR on but it’s closed due to being washed out from the heavy rains. Blowing Rock is a neat mountain town.

Riding around Asheville is not fun. Folks use it for their local commuting so it gets busy.

The most scenic area to me is the area north of Waterrock which towards the southern end.

There are lots of overlooks along the Parkway where you could park and do out and backs.

Somewhere there is a link to the mile markers and elevations. What it yields is where the climbs and descents are all along the BRP. I found that to be pretty handy.

i can give you a lot more specifics if needed.