cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, an orange one and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2353 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I usually yell very loudly at any dog that actually gets on the road. Probably all the neighbors within a mile think I'm dying.
That has worked for me in about 10,000 miles of touring in all 50 states except North Dakota, Alaska and Florida. I haven't been to the last 3...yet.

Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
I've only had one dog that didn't stop the charge. I wish I had pepper spray at the time, but I always wonder if I would be able to think about grabbing the canister, opening, and aiming properly as I'm sprinting away.
That's always been my question about pepper spray. How are you supposed to do all that and manage not to just end up in a heap in the middle of the road? Frankly, I don't sprint away. If they don't slow down when I yell at them, I want to be facing them if I have to defend against them. If stopping doesn't take the wind out of their sails, a whack in the nose with a bicycle wheel or a good solid kick in the ribs will deter them.

But, honestly, stopping takes all the fun out of the chase and every dog I've run across will either retreat or come over for a pet.
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!
Days of Wineless Roads. Bed and Breakfasting along the KATY
Twisting Down the Alley. Misadventures in tornado alley.
An Good Ol' Fashion Appalachian Butt Whoopin'.