Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2346 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH View Post
[MENTION=48405].

I'll probably start with something like this... https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/b...631054010.html
Something to consider about sizing. Generally, for an upright riding position you will want a bigger frame than your drop bar bike. Especially top tube length, because of the swept back handlebar. Find a way to experiment with your current bikes or see if you can borrow someones townie or hybrid to get an idea. You can try to fix that with a long stem or forward position mustache bars, but then you are bending forward and defeating the upright riding position. My recommendation would be to get the biggest frame that your inseam will allow. Quill stems go up and down quickly and easily and swept back bars can be trimmed to give you a custom fit.

The Schwinn in the add is not one of the two models he suggests it may be. It's an electrogorged Speedster. Be aware that Schwinn used some oddball proprietary sizing for headsets, stems, seat posts, rims and hubs. That said, I'd be happy to help source NEW, high quality replacements. Either vintage style or modern style if you prefer, at very reasonable prices. The Speedster is a perfect candidate for a 650b conversion due to it's geometry and stock wheel size. Plenty of fantastic tires out there for 650b too. It would need cold setting of the rear triangle and forks to accommodate a change in hubs. The fork ends would need to be opened up a little as well to accommodate a 9mm or 3/8" axle. All of that is super easy if you wanna go for it. I've done it.

Coincidentally, the 1977 red Speedster in the add is exactly what I started with to make my brown bike.

Started with this...

After some cutting and grinding and a few dings on my wallet, I ride this...