SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
"No pneumothorax." That's why. If the xray showed a small pneumothorax, they probably would have had you return the next day for a repeat xray to see if it had enlarged. If it did, that's an indication for a chest tube to re-inflate the lung. If it showed a large pneumothorax, they probably would have put in the chest tube right away.
I took a spill once and broke 4 ribs (and my clavicle, tibia, and fibula). The pain was no big deal. Unfortunately one of the ribs punctured my lung. So after my helicopter ride to the ER the Docs placed a chest tube (20 French IIRC) in me. Something about keeping me alive or some such. No anesthesia allowed for some reason or another. Before inserting it they asked if I wanted my arms and legs tied down. I asked why would I want that. They said that some people are not capable of tolerating the intense pain and that their limbs flail due to the shock, and that some patients even attempt to strike the staff members. Gee, thanks for the warning. I declined the straps and promised not to punch anyone.

There are no words in the English language to accurately describe the pain caused by a pipe being forced in between your ribs, separating them, and then onward into the cavity.