View Single Post
Old 07-05-18, 04:18 PM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DP Roberts View Post
I'll admit that I like the looks of the 24" wheels better. However, from what may other people have said, 24" wheels will absorb cracks, potholes, etc. better than a 20" wheel will. This makes sense, as the wheel diameter is larger & it won't sink as far down into any holes or ruts. Do you disagree?
Neither agree nor disagree - it depends. I.e. I own an Airnmal Joey, equipped with 40mm/507 Kenda Kwest tires. This rolls clearly better over rough terrain or cobblestones than my 349 Brompton or a Tern Link 20"-folder. Or a 406 Bike Friday Pocket Lama with Marathons on it. But as I run it with high pressure (>6 Bar) in the tires it rolls better but not necessarily very comfy. In comparison my Bernds folder with 50/406 Big Apples on it runs more comfy as I currently run the Big Apples with 3 Bar (which is already a bit on the high side for them). It does however compensate deeper holes minimally worse than the Airnimal, but still very very well and clearly well enough. And then there's the Moulton TSR with 40/406 Marathon Racers at 6 Bar. It is at least as comfy as the Bernds but by far faster than any of my other bikes. And it does have less issues with potholes as it is suspended.

Conclusio: Wheel size is just one out of many factors when it comes to rolling and comfort. Depending on all those factors combined a 24" wheel may be more comfy than a 20" or the other way round. In many cases other factors may in sum overrule the size of the wheel, in almost all cases they may be able to do it when setting them purposefully.

Last edited by berlinonaut; 07-05-18 at 04:22 PM.