View Single Post
Old 07-06-18, 11:37 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,930 Times in 1,211 Posts
It hasn't been really hot here, stopping 5-7 degrees short of the "hot" 100 degree mark. That's just average summer weather. The humidity is the problem, reminiscent of 10 years or so ago when we went a month without the temperature dropping below 80 at night, with a heavy dew every morning.

Commuting is OK, even so. Park the bike, grab the panniers, dash inside, cool off, shower (at work) or wipe down with rubbing alcohol/water, and change into dry clothes. Extending the commute is the tough part; I'm conditioned for 50 minutes, but adding another half hour (or more) turns me into a dripping mess. That means spraying bug repellent on and sitting out on the porch until I stop dripping sweat, then cowering inside the A/C for the rest of the day.

We'll usually get a front come through every week or two to cool things down for a couple days, but this summer has seemed like thunderstorms every afternoon. The one time a cold front came through, it turned around as a warm front the next day and heated things right back up. Another cold front is due today or tomorrow, maybe that'll drop the temperatures 5-10 degrees for TWO days.

Maybe.