Old 07-09-18, 12:05 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Originally Posted by rachel120
The few times I wanted to go to the nearby thrift store I had to force myself to take the bike rather than wait until I could use the car (which could be days), I actually liked it once I was on the bike. The last few times that was my motivation. It's harder for six times the distance and the end destination being work and not shopping on the cheap.Lol, the beginning of fixing that flat was "I can ride." The end of fixing that flat...and cleaning the chain...and tightening the seat...and jury-rigging attaching the rear light since the rubber housing broke trying to put it back on...and fighting that the nuts and bolts are all metric and I can't eyeball the difference between the 15mm bolts on the axle and the 14mm bolts on the seat and had to try multiple sockets...by the end the motivation had turned to the desire to chuck all the tools out the window, followed by the bike. That moment, I wanted to never see my bike again.
So you're still focused on bike commuting, but if you enjoyed riding it at other times, why not try getting some mileage in recreationally and letting the bike commute bug come back whenever it may?

Also, maybe you can treat yourself/the bike to a pro tune-up, just to remove one less source of stress and barrier to riding.