View Single Post
Old 07-09-18, 08:13 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I knew the risks when I was an amateur boxer and I retired from the sport in my early 20s when I began suffering headaches after bouts, even when I won. I still hold just enough libertarian leanings to be disinclined to forbid anyone from pursuing a risky goal if the person mostly likely to suffer consequences is the athlete him/herself.
I was heavily into Tae Kwon Do when I was ~20yo. One of my peers who started training at the same time I did was able to progress much faster than me, made 1st Degree Black Belt, and began competing in full-contact tournaments. I had not seen him for some months, when I heard a rumor he had abruptly quit competing. The next time I saw him, I asked him about it. His answer went something like this:

"Well, I started meeting these guys who had competed for years. What they had to say made sense, but their speech was slurred. Then every time I competed in a match, my head was ringing for a week afterward. The hell with it. I didn't want to end up like them."

Then just a few months later, I read an article in a martial arts magazine about a study that had summarized the autopsies of ~50 boxers. Something like 98% had brain damage.

Now mind you, this was back in the 1970's!

That put an end to any thoughts I ever had about training for full-contact.