livedarklions
Michegas Cup Winner

Bikes: Trek FX 3; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; "Motobecane" Fantom CX

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1554 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Similar with your definition of "fine". Gloves can have many purposes: Sometimes they serve as a barrier to protect from pathogens or caustic chemicals. Other times they serve as a cushion.

Sure you can have a better feel sensation without gloves, but that's not always a good thing. Just try boxing or using high voltage without gloves and see how long you last. I'm met many people (particularly men) who brag about and feel its "fine" to have rough, dried, cracked and calloused hands from farm work or other similar "dirty jobs."

Anyway, it all depends on what you need the gloves for. I use mine for cushioning. Particularly the meaty part of the palm. Believe me once you've fallen off your bike onto that part of your hand, you won't ride again without them.
I have callouses from weight lifting and the elliptical machine, so that ship sailed years ago ( gym gloves actually made that worse as a lot of people discover). I also have never considered callouses as any kind of big deal as I have had plenty of them from musical instruments over the years. Otherwise, I'm 57 years old, the skin on my hands has never been better, and it definitely does better in the open air. No offense, but I know a lot more about what does and doesn't work for MY hands than you do. And yes, I have fallen on my hands both with and without gloves, and I don't think the marginal difference in protection is worth the trouble gloves were causing me.