View Single Post
Old 07-10-18, 02:23 PM
DP Roberts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra View Post
​​​​​​Hmmm...maybe...the thing here is that we're getting into subjectivities, whereas width is a direct component of volume which in turn governs pressure. Confirmation bias must be taken into account with 'supple' tires, given that they tend to be costly, and enjoy a high prestige/connoisseur factor. Plus suppleness can come at the cost of sidewall toughness. I would not discount 'suppleness', but I would mot be so categorical either. I would categorize 'suppleness' as a second-order (in the mathematical sense) factor. My scientific gut is that suppleness is a factor in high pressure regimes, but decreases in importance in lower pressures.
So taking this back to the original post - 20" vs 24" wheels - if you were to take two bikes from the same brand with the same specs and the same exact tires, how much of a difference would 20" vs 24" wheels make?

The OP and I were both considering the Tern Link (20") vs Tern Node (24") versions of the same bike. As I mentioned previously, the 24" felt more stable in my (admittedly brief) test ride. Some people say that a 20" folder feels strange at first, but one gets used to it.

That point reminds me of car reviews, where the reviewers always make a huge point about the arrangement of switches and stuff. Sure, if you're just getting into any car for the first time, it's going to feel and drive differently than you're used to. But I've never known anyone who couldn't get used to the controls of their new car after a very short period of time.

Still... if one doesn't consider the 20" wheel size to be a benefit (as I don't), and one can put whatever tires one wants on 2 different size wheels for basically the same price, why not go with the one you happen to like better at first?

I say this because I just placed an order for a Node yesterday, but I found out it's on backorder for 2 weeks. The Link version of the same bike is currently available, but I'm still 90% sure I want to wait on the Node.