View Single Post
Old 07-10-18, 10:44 PM
Ronsonic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
What part of Florida are you moving to?

Much of the state is a sand bar which means tree roots are often exposed. It can be like a washboard out there. There was one trail near Tampa where you literally ride on a mesh of roots and only roots above water - you could look down and see it below.Trail maintenance has filled that in since then but still a lot of roots. A lot of the "gravel" roads here are shell and that can puncture feeble tires.

Full squish is nice for the rooty stuff. Other local features include sand, sometimes a lot of it. Highly recommend a dry lube for the chain and everything else. Then there's the pigs and other wildlife. The pigs will tear up entire square miles of forest floor, but usually not a hard packed trail, so sometimes even in a flat open area, the line gets narrow. A lot of the more interesting trails are cut along and in old mining pits. Fun roller-coastery stuff.

I can ride pretty much anything I can ride with a 120/100mm travel bike. I like 27.5 because so many of the trails near me are twisty, forest rides.