Old 07-11-18, 08:04 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by curttard View Post
Cross will be lighter and more agile, gravel bike will probably give you toe strike at times.

Stability of lower bottom bracket seems nutty to me, it's like saying oh man I like riding gravel as a teenager but I'm going to have trouble when I grow 1 inch taller because my center of gravity will be higher and I won't be stable enough. Actually the difference is less than 1" between my cross bike and the Diverge which has a very low BB -- low enough to hit my toes on the ground, on rocks, etc, but still less than 1" and I certainly can't notice any difference in stability or figure out why there would be one.

Having said all that, others have ridden many more bikes than I have and may be able to notice the difference in stability.
I hear ya on the BB. My old school mountain bike has a 40mm drop, and does fine off road (although a modern bike is easier on fast downhills). One frame designer said that BB drop was directly proportional to chain stay length large drop equated to long chain stays, shallow drop was needed for short chainstays.

I think a Gravel bike would have less toe strike due to the longer wheelbase and slacker head tube angle.