Old 07-11-18, 10:14 AM
NewATBikeComute

Bikes: Trek 800 Sport,Cavelo Gara

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike tinker man
Fully agree with above, put it back sell start again, another issue you may have is if you go for a bigger chain set / crank it "might" hit the chain stay, I did that once many years ago then had to install a wider BB then the chain line becomes an issue.

SIMPLE look at everything 1st - not one item at a time
My stubborn streak is not rational, but something I have to overcome sometimes.

Yes, replaced the rear gears, found few options, nearest fit was a bit more compact, starting higher where I have been getting faster over the same commute and really could take advantage of higher, not lower gearing.

So my 'bright idea' was to get a larger front crankset, accepting that I might have to use the smallest front gear from time to time (which I wasn't using at all during my commute). Didn't check for clearance, just pushed the 'buy' button.

One learns from mistakes, and from helpful advice. The mistakes I make on my own, but the forums are great for the latter, even if I find it a bit embarrassing to fess up.

I would like to get this bike into decent shape, ride it the rest of this summer, and pick out something at the next bike swap early next season, and sell this one, knowing that I wasn't passing on a bunch of problems, and that I will be able to feel a sense of pride at being able to evaluate, diagnose, fix, and tune my own ride.