Old 07-12-18, 04:55 AM
zacster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo View Post
Lot's of good feedback here, and I'm really thinking this might be the case. I'd say I generally run at fairly low pressures (the 75-85 range), so that's probably why it hasn't happened more often, or since.

Good memory! July 1st was indeed very hot, and I thought that was part of the issue, but the second time was after the bike had been inside my GF's air-conditioned apartment for over 10 hours, after being inflated in my own, non-airconditioned apartment. So I don't think it was temperature related.

And I don't think it was drastically over-inflated. My pump gauge is unreliable, but I've never gone above 115 psi with it, and that night I didn't go above 105, while the tires are rated on the sidewall for 130.

And the tire itself seems to be in good condition, although I did notice that along the bead in some places the rubber has worn through to expose some threading (I think it's threading) underneath. And for the person that asked, yes, they are folding bead tires.

Rims and rim-tape also looked good, but every day brings a chance for some damage here in the big city, so nothing is 100% certain. I've been riding on a replacement tube since Monday, though, at around 75psi, and I haven't had an issue.

Also, just to mention again, both blown out tubes had long slits in them (around 8 inches long), so I'm pretty sure the tire was coming off the rim and letting the tube escape to blow itself up.

Forgive me for sounding noobish, but do they make folding bead tires designed for a non-hook bead rim? Am I asking too much of my vintage equipment?

Again, pardon my unenlightened question, but I thought the whole point of Quantum theory was to fill in those blanks where Newtonian mechanics come up short. Of course it isn't going to explain what is going on with my tire, but isn't it involved in everything on some level? I mean, my conclusion from my forays into this topic has always been that we really don't understand exactly what is going on in our universe, so...
My point on the second blow out is that once the first happened, the second was going to happen too if you didn't fix the problem, especially if the tire was damaged on the first. And don't discount the damaged rim theory, it doesn't take much. Also I didn't originally see that this isn't a modern rim, if this rim is over 30 years old none of what just happened would surprise me. Accumulated damage from 30 years could easily have caused this.